Monday, June 4, 2012

What they Don't Teach you at Harvard

I'm re-reading a Brian Tracy book, Goals!  Early on in the book he references a book, "What They Don't Teach You at Harvard Business School."  It talks about a Harvard study conducted between 1979 and 1989.  In 1979, the graduates of the MBA program at Harvard were asked if they had set clear, written goals for their future and made plans to accomplish them. 

This is Harvard, right?  I mean, these guys have their act together.  So, when it turned out only 3 percent of graduates had written goals and plans... I was a little amazed.  Thirteen percent had goals, but they were not written down.  And 84 percent had no specific goals at all, aside from getting out of school and enjoying the summer. 

Long story short, the 3 percent of graduates who had clear, written goals when they left Harvard were earning, on average, TEN TIMES as much as the other 97 percent of graduates all together.  The only difference was the clarity of their goals. 

My dad always used to say, if you don't make the decision... someone else will make it for you.  So, let's all take a moment and write down some specific goals.

No comments: